skip to Main Content

Changes affecting EU, EEA and Swiss studentspasseport

From January 2021, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will be able to come to the UK for tourism or study for up to six months without needing a visa.

They will need to apply for a visa if they want to work or study for longer than six months.

Passports will be required for travel to the UK from 1 October 2021.

Short-term study visas for ELT courses up to 11 months

The Short-term study visa is specifically for students who want to study an English language course for between six and 11 months.

From January 2021, EU, EEA and Swiss students may apply for this visa.

There is no minimum level of English language required. The student needs to show a course confirmation from an accredited provider. All English UK members are recognised accredited providers.

The new Student visa replaces the ‘Tier 4’ visa

The new Student visa route replaces the current Tier 4 route for students arriving from January 2021. Applications through the new route are aleady open. 

Who needs a student visa? Students who want to study English for longer than 11 months, or another subject for longer than six months.

This new visa was designed to make applications easier. Students will be able to switch course provider while in the UK.

By English UK – Nov 2011 – More information

Back To Top